Last updated on August 30, 2019
It may surprise you to learn that hemp CBD contains more than 400 compounds. While many of the individual components of CBD can have an effect on your body, the potential benefits are multiplied and intensified when plant compounds work together. This is one of the many reasons so many CBD enthusiasts prefer to use full-spectrum or Broad Spectrum CBD products. They want to take advantage of a phenomenon known as the entourage effect.
The Discovery of the Entourage Effect
In the 1960s, Israeli researcher Raphael Mechoulam identified the structure of CBD (cannabidiol), one of the many cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. A year later Mechoulam became the first researcher to isolate delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This renowned researcher identified multiple cannabinoids and plant compounds found in cannabis. He also identified the first cannabinoid produced by the brain, anandamide.
It was clear to Mechoulam and his research teams that many elements in cannabis work together synergistically, that the combined effects had more impact than the effect of the individual elements. Mechoulam and his team also found that cannabis contained many inert components, identifying many cannabinoids and other plant components that appeared to have no effect on their own, but created an effect when combined with other inactive compounds.
In combination, these once inert compounds worked together to intensify the synergistic effects of cannabinoid compounds, the impact we now know as the entourage effect, first publicized in 1998. The entourage effect enhances synergy.
The Entourage Effect of Full-Spectrum and Broad Spectrum CBD
CBD (cannabidiol) is only one of many cannabinoids found in cannabis extract. There are more than 113 cannabinoids in CBD hemp oil, as well as hundreds of vitamins, minerals, plant terpenes, and essential fatty acids. In fact, CBD hemp oil contains 480 natural plant compounds.
To experience the full potential of cannabis extract, to benefit from the entourage effect, you will need to select a CBD (hemp oil) product that contains all the essential components of the original plant source. You will want to invest in a full-spectrum or broad spectrum product.
Because of the entourage effect, each element in full-spectrum hemp oil is magnified and multiplied by the effect of the others. Just a few of the many beneficial components of full-spectrum and broad spectrum CBD include:
- Additional cannabinoids – such as CBDA, CBDV, CBG, CBC, for endocannabinoid system support
- Flavonoids – anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anticancer, phytonutrients that give plants color
- Plant terpenes – aromatic compounds known to have a therapeutic effect on the body
- 20 amino acids – building blocks of muscles, tissue, and cells fulfilling a variety of roles.
- Potassium – regulates blood pressure and fluid balance
- Calcium – promotes healthy nerve function and protects from bone loss
- Vitamin A – essential for kidney, heart, and lung function. Protects vision
- Vitamin C – promotes tissue regeneration and iron absorption
- Iron – affects brain function, blood cell formation, and immune system function
- B vitamins – deficiencies can cause depression, confusion, and impaired immune function
- Vitamin E – essential for cardiovascular, eye, and skin health
- Zinc – Provides immune support fighting viruses and bacteria